This patriotic vegan potato salad from World Vegan Feast by Bryanna Clark Grogan can be red, white, and blue for the American Fourth of July, or red and white (the colors of the maple leaf flag) for July 1st, Canada Day. It makes a colorful, fresh, and tangy counterpart to your favorite vegan burgers or links.
- 2 pounds new or nugget potatoes (use half white potatoes and red potatoes or 12 ounces white potatoes, plus 10 ounces each of red and blue potatoes)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 large green onions, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dillweed or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 cup drained and crumbled extra-firm tofu
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan
- Gently scrub the potatoes, but leave the skins on. Leave the potatoes whole if they are very small nuggets. Otherwise, cut into 1-inch dice. Steam the potatoes over simmering water until tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the broth, oil, both vinegars, mustard, sugar, salt, garlic, and plenty of black pepper. Whisk together to blend well, then pour over the still hot potatoes. Add the red and green onions, dillweed, tofu, and vegan parmesan. Toss well to combine. Cover and re-frigerate until serving time.
From World Vegan Feast by Bryanna Clark Grogan. ©2011 Bryanna Clark Grogan. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press.