Forget peanut butter and chocolate – almond butter and apples are two great foods that taste great together and now this delicious flavor combo can be enjoyed pancake form. We’re betting Dad would love to start off his Father’s Day celebrations on Sunday with a big batch of Apple-Almond Butter Pancakes from Robin Robertson‘s Nut Butter Universe.
For gluten-free, use gluten-free flour. This recipe makes eight pancakes.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon natural sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted almonds
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a blender, combine the milk, apple juice, almond butter, and vanilla and blend until smooth.
- Pour into the flour mixture, stirring with a few swift strokes until just moist. Fold in the chopped apple and almonds.
- Preheat the oven to 200°F. Lightly oil a griddle or non- stick skillet and heat until hot. Ladle about 1/4 cup of the batter onto the griddle or skillet. Cook on one side until small bubbles appear on the top of the pancakes, about 2 minutes.
- Flip the pancakes with a spatula and cook until the second side is lightly browned, about 1 minute longer. Repeat with the remaining batter. Keep the cooked pancakes warm in the oven while preparing the remaining pancakes.
From Nut Butter Universe by Robin Robertson. ©2013 Robin Robertson. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press. Photo by Lori Maffei.