Saint Patrick’s Day is just a few days away, and people all over will be donning their finest green attire and celebrating with feasts consisting of Irish stew, soda breads, vegan corned “beef” and cabbage. This recipe for Mashed Potatoes with Sautéed Chard and Garlic from Bryanna Clark Grogan’s World Vegan Feast is a Mediterranean take on the classic Irish potato and cabbage dish colcannon.
- 2 pounds yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 pound green swiss chard, tough stems removed and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup hot nondairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place a metal colander or steamer insert in large pot or Dutch oven. Add enough water to barely reach the bottom of the colander. Bring the water to a boil over high heat. Transfer the potato chunks to the steamer/colander, cover the pot and reduce the heat to medium-high. Cook the potatoes for 20 to 25 minutes or until the potatoes are soft and the tip of a paring knife inserted into a potato chunk meets no resistance.
- While the potatoes cook, sauté the garlic and chard in hot olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Keep stirring, adding a tiny bit of water or broth if necessary, but the chard should exude its own liquid. When all of the liquid has evaporated and the garlic and chard are tender (but still bright green), remove from heat and set aside with a lid over the skillet to keep it warm.
- Set a potato ricer or food mill over the empty pot. Working in batches, transfer the potatoes to the hopper of the ricer or food mill and press or grind them through the holes, removing any potatoes that stick to the bottom. Press all the potatoes through the ricer or food mill into the pot. If you do not have a ricer or a food mill, transfer the potatoes to the pot, which has been drained of water and mash with a potato masher.
- Stir in the salt until well-mixed. Stir in the hot milk and beat the potatoes with a wooden spoon until they are smooth and fluffy. Add the chard and garlic and lots of black pepper. Mix well and taste for salt. Serve immediately.
From World Vegan Feast by Bryanna Clark Grogan. ©2011 Bryanna Clark Grogan. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press.