If you have never made burger patties, Easiest Black Bean Burgers from Vegan Richa’s Everyday Kitchen by Richa Hingle are the ones you want to make first. With a simple list of ingredients—such as beans, walnuts, oats, and spices—you can kick-start your veggie burger adventure here. Serve with your favorite burger fixings.
Easiest Black Bean Burgers
If you have never made burger patties, these are the ones you want to make first. With a simple list of ingredients—such as beans, walnuts, oats, and spices—you can kick-start your veggie burger adventure here. Serve with your favorite burger fixings.
Servings 7 patties
- 1/2 cup (60g) raw walnuts
- 1/2 cup (40g) old-fashioned oats
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 (1/2-inch [1cm]) knob fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup (30g) coarsely chopped onion
- 1 to 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeño slices
- 1 (15-ounce [425g]) can black beans or 1 1/2 cups (250g) cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup (10g) coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed or chia seed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons (10 to 15g) dry breadcrumbs or flour (gluten-free if necessary)
In a food processor, combine the walnuts, oats, garlic, ginger, onion, and jalapeños and pulse a few times, until the walnuts and onions are evenly chopped, 5 to 10 seconds. Add the beans, cilantro, cumin, oregano, chili powder, salt, pepper, and flax seed and process in 5-second intervals, until most of the beans break down. Do not puree—there should still be some whole beans for texture.
Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Cover the bowl and chill for 15 minutes. If the mixture is too wet, add the breadcrumbs and stir to combine.
Divide the mixture into 7 to 8 equal portions. Shape into tightly packed patties. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat (add oil if desired). Place the patties in the skillet and cook for 4 to 6 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Alternatively, preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Place the patties on a medium baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake the burgers for 15 minutes, flip, and bake another 10 minutes, or until the burgers are golden.
From Vegan Richa’s Everyday Kitchen copyright © 2017 by Richa Hingle. Used by permission Vegan Heritage Press.