Iconic Recipes for a Taste of the Big Apple
MICHAEL SUCHMAN and ETHAN CIMENT
Foreword by Alan Cumming
NYC Vegan brings New York’s fabulous foods to the plant-based table. The book was written by native New Yorkers as a tribute to the city they love. From the diners and delis of Brooklyn to the traditions of Little Italy and Chinatown, the foods of New York are the foods of the world.
- Old New York: Manhattan clam chowder, Waldorf salad, eggs Benedict, New York–style pizza, and New York–style cheesecake
- Street foods and festivals: Soft pretzels, churros, falafel, Italian ice, caramel corn, and zeppoles
- Delis and diners: Reuben sandwich, bagels, pot pie, and Brooklyn egg creams
- Bakeries: Knishes, cinnamon rolls, black-and-white cookies, and Irish soda bread
- Jewish specialties: Blintzes, brisket, mandelbroit, and “chicken” soup
- Neighborhoods: Polish pierogis, Italian lasagna, Dominican arroz con maíz, Greek avgolemono soup, and Puerto Rican mofongo
These recipes are simple and delicious and bring the city vibe to your own kitchen. As self-trained cooks, Michael and Ethan are food lovers who show how vegan food can taste just as good as nonvegan dishes and how eliminating animal products from your diet does not mean you can’t enjoy New York City’s iconic foods. This book includes full-color photography by Jackie Sobon and a foreword by actor and activist Alan Cumming.
About the Authors
Michael Suchman and Ethan Ciment are the award-winning bloggers at VeganMos.com. Through their recipes, they show that eliminating animal products does not mean giving up your favorite familiar foods. Michael is a certified Vegan Life Coach and educator through Main Street Vegan Academy. He is also a certified Food for Life instructor through the Physician’s Committee for Responsible Medicine. Ethan is a podiatric surgeon in Manhattan who serves on the board of directors of Woodstock Farm Sanctuary. They share a home in Brooklyn with their two vegan dogs.
Vegan Heritage Press, LLC
Paperback, 208 pages, $21.95