The natural flavor of the sprouts really pops when matched with the sweet creamy consistency of dates and the sharp spiciness of garlic in this recipe from The Lusty Vegan by Ayindé Howell and Zoë Eisenberg. The complex combination makes this dish satisfying on a lot of levels. It’s a great addition to any meal as a side, and for Brussels sprouts lovers, it’s a whole meal.
Prep time: 8 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Serves 4 to 6
- 1 (10-ounce) package shaved Brussels sprouts (see Pro-tip)
- 2 cups pitted dates, torn into quarters
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed or safflower oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a 9 x 13-inch baking dish combine the Brussels sprouts and dates with the oil, salt, and pepper. Toss to make sure all the pieces of dates and Brussels sprouts are covered evenly. Sprinkle the garlic on top.
- Roast for 20 minutes or until the garlic has caramelized and the dates and Brussels sprouts have browned on top.
Pro-tip: If you cannot find shaved Brussels sprouts, take the Brussels sprout and cut from top to bottom; lay flat and then slice thin shreds as if it were an onion.
From The Lusty Vegan © 2014 by Ayinde Howell and Zoe Eisenberg. Used with permission from Vegan Heritage Press.