If you’ve resolved to eat healthier for 2015, give this Lemon Meringue Chia Pudding from The Lusty Vegan by Ayinde Howell and Zoe Eisenberg a try. Chia seeds have tons of health benefits and are loaded with nutrients, including, protein, fiber, antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, and calcium. This dish is a cross between yogurt and pudding, and can do double duty as both breakfast and dessert.
Lemon Meringue Chia Pudding
Prep time: 5 minutes plus 2 days | Serves 2
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water overnight and drained
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 ripe melon (for plating, optional)
- Combine all of the ingredients except the chia seeds (and melon) in a blender. Blend the mixture on the high setting until smooth. Taste and adjust lemon or sweetener to your liking.
- Whisk the chia seeds into the mixture (make sure they don’t clump up).
- Pour the mixture into a glass jar. Cover with a lid and refrigerate overnight, or at least 2 to 10 hours to allow the chia to form the pudding.
Remember we eat with our eyes first, so here is a plating trick to help your cause. To plate your pudding, take a ripe melon and cut it in half. Spoon out the seeds and scoop the pudding into the middle. Serve cold with a spoon.
From The Lusty Vegan © 2014 by Ayinde Howell and Zoe Eisenberg. Used with permission from Vegan Heritage Press.