Today is National Cheeseburger Day. Most people might think of this as a “meaty” holiday, but there’s no reason why vegan’s can’t celebrate! We’ll be enjoying the day with All-American Incrediburgers from American Vegan Kitchen by Tamasin Noyes. They’re so delicious that everyone will want to try one them right off the grill. The minced onion, which steams into the burgers, give them a wonderful old-fashioned diner taste. Top them with your favorite vegan cheese to truly celebrate National Cheeseburger Day. With these burgers, you really can have it “your way.”
- 1 1/3 cups hot water
- 1 cup texturized vegetable protein granules
- 1/4 cup finely minced onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon spice blend
- 2 teaspoons instant tapioca
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 1/2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 burger buns, sliced and toasted
- Toppings: lettuce, tomato slices, pickles, condiments
In a large bowl, combine the hot water with the texturized vegetable protein to rehydrate, about 10 minutes. Prepare a steamer and tear off six (12-inch) squares of foil.
When the texturized vegetable protein is rehydrated, add the ingredients in the order given, down to and including the broth. Mix well, and knead for about 4 minutes to make sure the mixture is combined and the gluten is activated. Squeeze the mixture together to work the ingredients throughout.
Divide the mixture into 6 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a burger, about 4 inches across, and place in the center of a piece of foil. Fold the foil over each burger to make a packet. The foil should not be tight against the burger, to allow for expansion. Transfer to the steamer and steam 1 hour. Remove from the steamer and unwrap carefully. Transfer the burgers to a plate and refrigerate for 1 hour.
To Grill: Preheat the grill. Brush the burgers with olive oil and place on the grill. Grill about 5 minutes, or until brown. Brush the top with oil and turn over to cook the other side, about 5 minutes. Serve on buns with toppings of choice.
To Pan-fry: Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the burgers and cook until browned on both sides, turning once, about 10 minutes total.
To Bake: Arrange the burgers on a lightly oiled baking sheet and brush lightly with oil. Bake for 20 minutes at 375°F, turning once halfway through, or until browned.
From American Vegan Kitchen by Tamasin Noyes. ©2010 Tamasin Noyes. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press.