This vegan Rotini with Creamy Pumpkin Sauce and Walnuts from Cook the Pantry by Robin Robertson is good enough to make you forget this is pantry cuisine. It’s the ultimate dinner dish for chilly autumn evenings.
Rotini with Creamy Pumpkin Sauce and Walnuts
- 8 to 12 ounces rotini or other bite-sized pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 15-ounce can solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup plain unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Cook the pasta in a pot of boiling salted water until just tender.
While the pasta cooks, heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, cover and cook for 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic, sage, and red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds, then stir in the wine, pumpkin, broth, salt, and pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until smooth and hot, then stir in the almond milk. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed
When the pasta is done cooking, drain it and return it to the pot. Add the reserved sauce and toss to combine. Serve hot sprinkled with the toasted walnuts and parsley.
Recipe from Cook the Pantry © 2015 by Robin Robertson. Photo by Annie Oliverio. Used by permission Vegan Heritage Press LLC.