These vegan brownies from Vegan Richa’s Everyday Kitchen by Richa Hingle are so fudgy and perfect. They go from underdone to done to overdone and chewy really quickly. You want to err on the side of underbaking.
- 1/2 cup (120ml) nondairy milk
- 3/4 cup (150g) plus 2 tablespoons (24g) raw sugar
- 2/3 cup (160g) mixture of nondairy dark and semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup (60ml) organic safflower or other neutral oil
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup (22g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (120g) plus 2 tablespoons (16g) spelt or whole-wheat flour combined with 1 tablespoon cornstarch, or 1 1/4 cups (150g) Gluten-Free Flour Blend
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons (40g) nondairy semisweet chocolate chips, divided
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line an 8 x 8-inch (20 x 20cm) baking pan with parchment paper (or grease it well).
Wet Ingredients: In a medium microwave-safe bowl, heat the milk to almost boiling in the microwave (alternatively, heat the milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat). Add the sugar and whisk until combined. Add the chocolate chips, let the mixture sit for 1 minute, then whisk to melt the chocolate, about 1 minute. Add the oil, flaxseed, cocoa, salt, and vanilla and whisk well.
Dry Ingredients: In another medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add the flour mixture to the milk mixture, stirring to combine. Add 3 tablespoons (30g) of the chocolate chips. Transfer the batter to the baking pan and spread it out evenly. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon chocolate chips on top.
Bake the brownies for 30 to 32 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted 1 inch (3cm) from the side of the pan comes out almost clean. The center should have a dry top but it might be battery underneath. Do not overbake. If a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, the brownies are overbaked and might be chewy. If the brownies are overly chewy, crumble them and use them in parfaits, cookies, or ice cream. Store the brownies in an airtight container for 2 days or refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Warm and serve.
From Vegan Richa’s Everyday Kitchen copyright © 2017 by Richa Hingle. Used by permission Vegan Heritage Press.