There are numerous ways to make cheesy vegan soups, but this one won’t leave you feeling cheated. If you are hankering for Broccoli and Cheese Soup, this recipe from Everyday Vegan Eats by Zsu Dever is the perfect vegan version of it. Serve the soup with breadsticks and/or a sandwich.
To make this soup gluten free, omit the all-purpose flour. Set aside 1/4 cup of the milk and mix it with 3 tablespoons arrowroot starch. Stir the arrowroot mixture into the soup when the broccoli is tender. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook only until thickened.
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 4 cups plain unsweetened vegan milk
- 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons savory broth mix
- 1/4 cup diced jarred pimientos or roasted red peppers
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces broccoli, tough stems removed or peeled, finely chopped
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
In a blender, combine the milk, cream cheese, broth mix, pimientos, nutritional yeast, and paprika and blend until very smooth. Set aside.
Heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes.
Add the flour and cook, stirring, until it begins to develop some color, about 2 minutes.
Slowly pour the milk mixture into the pot; mix the soup continuously using a whisk until there are no lumps. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook until thickened. (Do not boil.)
Stir in the broccoli. Add salt, black pepper, and nutmeg to taste. Simmer the soup on low until the broccoli is tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in the vinegar.
Variation: To make Cauliflower Cheese Soup, use finely chopped cauliflower instead of broccoli.
From Everyday Vegan Eats by Zsu Dever. ©2014 Zsu Dever. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press.