Frozen spinach and canned white beans combine with garlic and spices to make a delectable filling for these hearty White Bean and Spinach Quesadillas from Cook the Pantry by Robin Robertson. No cheese needed. Serve with your favorite salsa.
White Bean and Spinach Quesadillas
Makes 2 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 large flour tortillas
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add the spinach and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the beans, lemon juice, coriander, and cumin. Cook, stirring, until the spinach is cooked and the flavors are blended, about 5 minutes. Mash the beans well while cooking. Set aside.
- Place two large tortillas on a flat work surface. Divide the spinach mixture evenly be- tween the tortillas. Spread the filling mixture evenly on half of each tortilla. Fold the remaining half of each tortilla over the half with the filling and press gently to enclose and spread the filling close to the edges.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Arrange the quesadillas in the hot skillet, one at a time or both, depending on the size of your skillet. Flatten with a metal spatula and cook until browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Flip the quesadillas and cook until the other side is golden brown. Serve hot.
Recipe from Cook the Pantry © 2015 by Robin Robertson. Photo by Annie Oliverio. Used by permission Vegan Heritage Press LLC.