Healthy vegan bacon is here! Now you can enjoy that salty, smoky, crispy yum made with healthy plant-based ingredients. It’s all in the seasonings, and the recipes in Baconish by Leinana Two Moons are loaded with decadently delicious bacony flavor.
We’re celebrating the release of Baconish with vegan Bacon Pancake Dippers!
Bacon Pancake Dippers
Makes 4 servings
These dippers are a simple and ingenious way to combine your favorite sweet and savory breakfast elements, giving you the perfect bacon-to-pancake ratio in each bite.
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup plain unsweetened almond or soy milk
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 strips tempeh bacon, cut in half
- Vegan butter and additional maple syrup, for serving
- Preheat the oven to the lowest temperature possible to keep the pancakes warm while you finish cooking them.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, maple syrup, and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine, but do not overmix. Some lumps are fine.
- Heat a griddle over medium-high heat and lightly mist it with nonstick cooking spray. Working in batches so as not to crowd your griddle, add the tempeh slices and brown them on one side, and then flip them over. Using a ladle, pour pancake batter over each tempeh slice. You want to barely cover each slice, as the batter will spread and expand enough to cover each one.
- When the batter puffs up and you start to see bubbles on top, flip each dipper over and cook an additional minute or two until the other side is browned. Keep the dippers warm on a baking sheet in the oven until they are all finished cooking. Serve warm with butter and maple syrup.
From Baconish © 2016 by Leinana Two Moons. Used with permission from Vegan Heritage Press.