The best of two popular New Orleans culinary icons join forces to create the ultimate sandwich in these po’boys from Cook the Pantry by Robin Robertson.
Artichoke Muffaleta Po’ Boys
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/3 cup pickled vegetables, well-drained
- 1/3 cup pimiento-stuffed green olives, well-drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, well-drained and halved
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun spice blend
- 3 tablespoons Creole mustard
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 2 small sub rolls
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- Pickled sliced jalapeños
- Tabasco or other hot sauce, to serve
- In a food processor, combine the scallion and garlic and process until finely minced. Add the pickled vegetables, olives, and pulse to make a relish. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the artichoke hearts, season with the spice blend, and cook until nicely browned, about 5 minutes per side.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread the mayonnaise and mustard on the inside top and bottom of the bread. Spread the lettuce onto the bottom of each sandwich, followed by tomato slices. Top with the relish mixture, a few slices of jalapeños, and the artichokes. Serve at once with Tabasco.
Makes 2 servings
Recipe from Cook the Pantry © 2015 by Robin Robertson. Photo by Annie Oliverio. Used by permission Vegan Heritage Press LLC.