This vegan paella from Cook the Pantry by Robin Robertson is the ultimate in delicious pantry cooking. The quickest way to get it on the table is by having cooked rice on hand. If you have cooked rice in the freezer, it defrosts quickly in the microwave. You can also substitute a quick-cooking grain such as quinoa, if you prefer.
Paella from the Pantry
Makes 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 pinch saffron threads or ground annatto or turmeric (for color)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas, or 1 (15.5-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 (6-ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 (6-ounce) jar roasted red bell pepper, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed green olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Heat the oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes to soften. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, saffron, paprika, bay leaf, oregano, red pepper flakes, and tomatoes and their juice. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium. Season with salt and pepper to taste, cover, and simmer for 8 minutes. Stir in the peas, chickpeas, cooked rice, artichoke hearts, roasted red bell pepper, olives, and parsley. Cook 3 to 5 minutes longer, stirring gently, to heat through. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed. Serve hot.
Recipe from Cook the Pantry © 2015 by Robin Robertson. Photo by Annie Oliverio. Used by permission Vegan Heritage Press LLC.