Bread pudding is a staple in the Southern kitchen. It’s often served as a breakfast or brunch dish, and can be either savory or sweet. This vegan version from The Lusty Vegan by Ayindé Howell and Zoë Eisenberg is savory. Because sometimes you have to indulge, this is not Chef Ayindé healthiest recipe, but it’s a an excellent side dish option for Thanksgiving. Be sure to pace yourself and enjoy!
Savory Shiitake and Parmesan Bread Pudding
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Serves 4 to 6
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons safflower oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2 cups unsweetened soy milk
- 3/4 cup vegan Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons Ener-G egg replacer powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups bread, roughly torn apart into pieces (whatever kind you have)
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, for garnish
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, until hot. Add the onion and sauté until it becomes translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and shiitake mushrooms and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 minutes. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In large bowl, combine the soy milk, parmesan, nutritional yeast, egg replacer, sage, basil, red pepper flakes, and salt. With a handheld emulsion blender or in a high-speed blender, slowly blend 3/4 cup oil into the soy milk mixture until the consistency becomes thick and custard-like.
- Fold in the sautéed mushrooms and onion. Add the bread pieces and fold together until well combined. Pour the mixture into a lightly oiled casserole dish and let it sit for 7 to 10 minutes. Bake for 30 minutes, or until hot. Serve garnished with chopped scallions.
From The Lusty Vegan © 2014 by Ayindé Howell and Zoë Eisenberg. Used with permission from Vegan Heritage Press.