This is a simple taco of potatoes and roasted chiles from Jason Wyrick’s book Vegan Tacos. It’s super easy to make and only has a few ingredients. Purple potatoes are used in the recipe, not because they really taste different than any other waxy potato, but because they look cool.
Tacos with Purple Potatoes and Roasted Poblanos
Tacos de Papas Moradas y Rajas
Region: Mexico City | Heat Level: 3 | Makes 12 Tacos
- 4 poblano chiles or jalapeños, pan roasted, stem and seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 small purple potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon diced epazote, optional, but recommended
- 8 (5 to 6-inch) corn tortillas
- Salsa verde
- Chopped avocado
- Cut the roasted chiles into thin strips about 3-inches long. Heat the oil in a large skillet over a medium heat. Add the potatoes and salt and sauté until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. You will need to slowly stir the potatoes so they don’t stick to the pan. Once they are browned, add the water and epazote, if using. Cook out all the water and then remove the potatoes from the heat. The potatoes should be browned on the outside and al dente on the inside. If they are still crunchy, add another half cup of water and cook until it evaporates.
- As soon as the potatoes are off the heat, warm your tortillas one at a time by placing them on top of the potatoes for about 10 seconds each. Fill the tortillas with potatoes, poblanos, salsa, and then vegan queso fresco.
Make it on the Grill: Toss the chopped potatoes in the oil and salt and transfer them to a grill pan. Make sure the bottom of your grill pan is well oiled or else the potatoes will stick to it. Grill the potatoes until they are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Also, go ahead and roast the poblanos on the grill since you’ve already got it going.
From Vegan Tacos by Jason Wyrick. ©2014 Jason Wyrick. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press.