Serve these Easy Curried Green Beans from Vegan Richa’s Indian Kitchen by Richa Hingle with rice or flatbread and a side of potatoes or creamy curry.
Easy Curried Green Beans
Prep: 20 minutes | Active: 15 minutes | Inactive: 20 minutes | Serves 4
- 1 teaspoon safflower or coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3/4 cup chopped or thinly sliced red or white onion
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (optional)
- 3 1/2 cups fresh or frozen green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces (thawed if frozen)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Cook until they start to pop. Stir in the onion and cook until translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Add the garam masala, turmeric, and cayenne. Cook until fragrant, 2 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid burning.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato paste, if using, and cook for 3 minutes. Add the green beans, salt and water. Mix well, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir, taste and adjust salt and spice. Check the beans for doneness. Add a bit more water if you want to keep it saucy. Cover and cook until beans are cooked through, 5 minutes. The beans should not be mushy, but just about well-cooked. Serve hot, garnished with cilantro.
Recipe from Vegan Richa’s Indian Kitchen Copyright © 2015 by Richa Hingle. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press, LLC.