The Abundance Diet by Somer McCowan is cookbook and diet plan to manage your weight and eat abundantly with plant-based whole foods. The author reversed severe ulcerative colitis through her plant-based diet, and many who have tried her plan lost weight quickly and safely while feeling full and eating an abundance of whole plant-based foods. Without counting calories, you can dramatically change your overall health, eliminate bad cholesterol, take control of your blood pressure, and shrink your waistline. The book also shows you how to incorporate exercise, regardless of your fitness level.
The Abundance Diet will be available on June 9th. We have a sneak peek today with one of our favorite recipes from the book.
Rawkin’ Rainbow Kale Salad
Somer calls this “a salad for the kale haters” because her husband, who isn’t fond of kale, asks for seconds of this incredibly lush and dreamy salad.
Creamy Chili Lime Dressing:
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup raw cashew pieces (soaked for 4 to 6 hours
- 1 tablespoon tamari or Bragg Liquid Aminos
- Juice of 1 large lime
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, or more (depending on your heat preference)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash of cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Rainbow Kale Salad:
- 1 large bunch (16 ounces) lacinato or dinosaur kale, tough stems removed, then cut into 1/4-inch shreds
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 head small purple cabbage, cut into 1/4-inch ribbons
- 1/2 cup red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice or thinly sliced rings
- 1 large carrot, cut into thin 2-inch long matchsticks
- 1 large ripe Hass avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small jicama, cut into 2-inch long matchsticks
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Lime wedges, for serving (optional)
- In a high-speed blender or a food processor, combine the red bell pepper, garlic, cashews, tamari, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Blend until completely smooth and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer the kale and the cilantro to a large salad bowl and pour on the dressing. Toss until all the kale is thoroughly coated, then massage the kale with your hands for 1 to 2 minutes. (Massaging kale makes it taste better!) Divide the kale salad among four large plates and top with the purple cabbage, red onion, carrot, avocado, and jicama. Season with a bit of salt and pepper and serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Makes 4 servings
Recipe from The Abundance Diet, © 2015 by Somer McCowan. Photo by Ann Oliverio. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press LLC.