Who can say no to breakfast in bed, especially when it’s Breakfast Andouille Sausage with Biscuits from The Lusty Vegan that’s being served? If you know you aren’t going to have a lot of time in the morning, you can prep the sausage a day or two in advance. The biscuits come together pretty quickly, but they can also be made in advance and frozen, and then defrosted when you need them.
Breakfast Andouille Sausage with Biscuits
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter, very cold
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 cup Lightlife Gimme Lean vegan sausage
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon gumbo filé powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Grapeseed or safflower oil
- 1/2 cup julienned green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup julienned red onion
- 1/2 cup vegan cheese shreds
- Vegan butter
- Raspberry jam (or you favorite flavor)
- Biscuits: Preheat the oven to 425°F. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a fork, mix in the cold butter until it becomes the size of small peas. Slowly add the milk, gradually stirring until the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- Place the dough onto a floured surface, and knead 15 to 20 times. Pat or roll the dough out to a 1-inch thickness. Cut the biscuits with a large cookie cutter or the top of a juice glass dipped in flour. Repeat until all the dough is used. Brush off the excess flour, and place the biscuits onto a lightly floured baking sheet. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown.
- Sausage: In a large bowl, break up the sausage. Add the Cajun seasoning, paprika, minced garlic, black pepper salt, file powder, chili powder, red pepper flakes, and cumin. Mix well. Take 1/4 cup of the sausage mixture and form into a 1/2 inch thick patty. Repeat until all patties are formed. It should make 4 patties.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1/4 cup oil until hot and shimmering. Fry the patties for 3 to 5 minutes on each side until golden brown. Transfer the patties to paper towels to cool. Reserve the oil in the skillet.
- Reheat the skillet with the oil from the sausage over medium heat. Add the bell pepper and onion and sauté until caramelized, 5 to 7 minutes. Use a spatula to push the onions and peppers into four piles large enough to cover the sausage patties and sprinkle the top of each veggie pile with 2 tablespoons of cheese, allowing it to melt. Using a spatula, place the vegetables and melted cheese on top of each sausage patty. Serve with hot biscuits topped with butter and jam, if using, on the side.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Serves 2 to 4
From The Lusty Vegan © 2014 by Ayinde Howell and Zoe Eisenberg. Used with permission from Vegan Heritage Press.