The mixed mushrooms are the stars of these Mushroom Tacos from Vegan Tacos by Jason Wyrick. Oyster mushrooms give the taco a heavily browned flavor; the shiitakes add earthiness; and the creminis a sort of mellowness, all working together to provide a complex flavor in every bite. The taco is topped off with roasted habanero sour cream for a piquant bite. For less bite, omit the habanero. These tacos can be a little light, but you can add a cup of cooked black beans at the end of the recipe to make the filling heartier.
(Tacos de Hongos)
Makes 6 Tacos
Heat Level: 7
- 1 guajillo chile (to make guajillo powder) or 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups oyster mushrooms, chopped into big 2-inch pieces
- 10 to 12 small fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and cut in half
- 10 to 12 cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped epazote, optional
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 (5 to 6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 cup vegan sour cream or cashew cream
- 1 roasted habanero, optional
- Raw pine nuts
- Heat a dry skillet over a medium heat. Add the guajillo and toast it for 30 seconds on each side. Use a spatula to press it flat on the skillet to maximize the area that gets toasted. Remove the stem. Grind it into powder and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Stir in the oyster mushrooms only, then let them cook for 1 to 2 minutes until they begin to brown. Stir again, and let them sit again. Continue to do this until they are greatly reduced in size and heavily browned and crispy. This will take 10 to 12 minutes. Turn the heat down to medium. Add the shiitakes and cremini mushrooms. Sauté until soft. Add the garlic, epazote, if using, reserved guajillo powder, and salt and sauté another 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- In a blender or food processor puree the roasted habanero, if using, with the sour cream and transfer to a bowl. Warm the tortillas. Fill each taco with the mushrooms, then top with the sour cream or cashew cream, and finish them off with a sprinkle of pine nuts.
From Vegan Tacos by Jason Wyrick. ©2014 Jason Wyrick. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press.