September is National Biscuit Month! We’re not sure how this month-long biscuit festival started, but it’s something we don’t mind celebrating!
These Flaky Buttermilk Herb Biscuits from Everyday Vegan Eats by Zsu Dever bake up big and beautiful! They have all the layers that you’ve come to expect from good-quality biscuits. The fact that they’re vegan is just a bonus.
Flaky Buttermilk Herb Biscuits
- 1 1/4 cups plain unsweetened vegan milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 2 tablespoons double-acting baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) cold vegan butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup minced parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Mix the milk and vinegar in a small bowl. Set it aside for 3 minutes to thicken.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter. Using a pastry knife or your fingers, cut the butter into the flour until the butter is about the size of peas. Create a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the milk mixture all at once. Add the parsley and chives. Gently combine the flour and milk with your hand just until the milk is absorbed into the flour. Handle carefully to avoid tough biscuits.
- Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface and knead it 6 to 8 times or until the dough comes together. Add more flour to the dough if it is too sticky, adding just enough flour to prevent a lot of sticking, but not too much to achieve a light, flaky biscuit.
- Roll the dough out into a rough rectangle about 1/2-inch thick. Fold the dough in half and then in half again. Roll it out again into a rough rectangle about 1/2-inch thick, adding more flour as needed. Repeat the folding and rolling 4 more times, for a total of folding it 5 times. If the dough becomes too difficult to roll, allow it to relax for 5 minutes before proceeding.
- Roll the dough into a rough rectangle about 1/2-inch thick one final time. Cut it into about 10 (3-inch) rounds using a floured biscuit cutter, or a floured drinking glass. Place the biscuits on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 425°F. Continue to bake until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 10 to 12 biscuits
From Everyday Vegan Eats by Zsu Dever. ©2014 Zsu Dever. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press.