This colorful chickpea salad comes from Vegan Unplugged by Jon Robertson and Robin Robertson. Vegan Unplugged is a pantry cuisine guide that’s great to send college students back to school with, as it can help young scholars cook up quick, easy and nutritious meals without the use of a stove or a fridge. In addition to being a cookbook, Vegan Unplugged is also a concise emergency preparedness guide for everyone in the family, including companion animals, so it’s an excellent book to keep on hand for emergencies, such as storms and power outages.
The Amazing Technicolor Chickpea Salad is combination of chickpeas, beets, and pineapple, and it delivers good nutrition while lighting up your taste buds. It’s a fun dish to serve at potlucks and picnics, and works well as a side dish for your Labor Day weekend barbecues.
Amazing Technicolor Chickpea Salad
- 1 (8-ounce) can sliced beets, drained
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 1 (8-ounce) can chunk pineapple, drained with juice reserved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and black pepper
- Cut the beets into 1/4-inch dice and transfer to a medium bowl. Add the chickpeas and pine- apple chunks.
- Drizzle on about 1/3 cup of the reserved pine- apple juice, the oil, lemon juice, and sugar. Season with salt and pepper, and mix well.
Makes 4 servings
From Vegan Unplugged by Jon Robertson with recipes by Robin Robertson. ©2010 Jon Robertson. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press.