The classic Waldorf salad gets a new look with this recipe for vegan Walnut Butter Waldorf Wraps from Nut Butter Universe by Robin Robertson. Here it’s made with walnut butter and wrapped inside a soft tortilla, making it the perfect warm weather lunch. This recipe works well with sweeter apples such as Fuji, Delicious, or Gala.
- 2 Gala or Fuji apples, peeled and cored
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup finely minced celery
- 2 scallions, finely minced
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1/3 cup walnut butter
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon natural sugar (optional)
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 4 (7-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- Shred the apples or cut them into thin slices and place them in a large bowl. Add the lemon juice and toss to coat. Drain the liquid from the apples, then add the raisins, celery, scallions, and nuts.
- In a small bowl, combine the walnut butter, mayonnaise, and sugar, if using, until blended. Spoon just enough of the dressing into the apple mixture to bind the ingredients together, stirring to mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Reserve the remaining dressing to spread on the tortillas.
- Place the tortillas on a flat work surface and spread the remaining dressing on them. Divide the apple mixture across the lower third of each tortilla, along with the shredded lettuce.
- Roll up the sandwiches and use a serrated knife to cut them in half.
From Nut Butter Universe by Robin Robertson. ©2013 Robin Robertson. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press. Photo by Zsu Dever.