Tomorrow marks the first day of summer, and with warm weather comes barbecues and summertime picnics. Macaroni Salad is a dish that quintessentially summer and can often be found at outdoor potlucks and cookouts. This vegan version of Creamy Macaroni Salad from Everyday Vegan Eats by Zsu Dever is sure to please all of the guests at your summer gathering, no matter what their dietary preference.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni (use whole grain or gluten-free if you’d like)
- 3/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 celery stalk, minced
- 1/4 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender. Drain well and transfer to a large baking dish to cool. Stir gently every few minutes to cool it faster. Once it is cool, transfer the pasta to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, and mustard and mix well. Add 1/2 cup to the pasta and set aside the remaining dressing. Stir in the bell pepper, onion, parsley, and relish. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Chill the pasta salad in the refrigerator for an hour to meld the flavors. Stir the remaining dressing into the pasta salad before serving. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Tex-Mex Macaroni Salad. Replace the lemon juice with lime juice. Replace the mustard with 2 teaspoons of chipotle adobo puree. Reduce the celery to 1/2 celery rib. Replace the parsley with cilantro. Stir in 3/4 cup roasted corn kernels.
From Everyday Vegan Eats by Zsu Dever. ©2014 Zsu Dever. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press.