Traditional Niçoise salad is made with tomatoes, tuna, hard-boiled eggs, olives, and anchovies and was popularized in the United States by Julia Child. Roasted Niçoise Salad with Cashew Goddess Dressing from Nut Butter Universe by Robin Robertson is a vegan spin on the classic dish. Roasting the potatoes and green beans adds a new layer of flavor to this hearty salad. A creamy cashew dressing provides a rich finish.
- 1 pound small new potatoes, halved or cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces green beans, steamed
- 1 1/2 cups cooked or 1(15.5-ounce) can chickpeas,drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes,halved lengthwise
- 1/3 cup cashews
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup plain unsweetened almondmilk
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon wheat-free tamari
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives, pitted andhalved
- Torn butter lettuce leaves, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Arrange the potatoes on a lightly oiled baking pan and spray with a little cooking spray. Season to taste with salt and pepper and roast until just softened and lightly browned, turning once, about 25 minutes. Add the steamed green beans, chickpeas, and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper, and spray with a little cooking spray. Return to the oven for 15 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, make the dress- ing. Grind the cashews in a high-speed blender. If you don’t have a high-speed blender, you can use a food processor but the dressing won’t be as smooth. Add the scallions, garlic, and parsley. Pulse to mince. Add the almond milk, tahini, vinegar, lemon juice, tamari, and salt to taste; process until smooth. Set aside.
- When the vegetables are roasted, remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
- To serve, arrange the lettuce leaves onto four serving plates. Arrange the vegetables on top and drizzle each salad with some of the dressing. Serve immediately.
From Nut Butter Universe by Robin Robertson. ©2013 Robin Robertson. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press. Photo by Lori Maffei.