Today is National Chocolate Cake Day! Cakes in various forms have been around for thousands of years but chocolate cake as we know it didn’t make an appearance until around 1880. Before then, “chocolate cake” meant a yellow cake with chocolate frosting. As baking techniques improved, the rich chocolate cake we now know and love became more prominent. Chocolate is now the most popular kind of cake, and these soft, moist Devil’s Food Cupcakes from Practically Raw Desserts by Amber Shea Crawley will make any chocolate lover swoon.
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup cacao powder
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 2 large, ripe avocados, pitted, peeled, and chopped
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- To make the cupcakes, combine the applesauce, maple syrup, vanilla, lemon juice, and salt in a food processor or stand mixer and blend until smooth and combined.
- Add the cacao powder and blend until smooth.
- Add the almond flour and blend again until smooth.
- Finally, add the coconut flour and pulse or blend until well-combined. The mixture will be very thick and dough-like.
- Divide the dough between 8 large or 20 mini muffin cups (with or without paper liners), pressing firmly and evenly into each. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To make the frosting, combine the avocados, maple syrup, vanilla, lemon juice, and salt in a food processor. Blend until smooth and combined.
- Add the cacao powder and blend again until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Just before serving, remove the cupcakes from the fridge and top each cupcake with a dollop or swirl of Fluffy Chocolate Frosting.
- Store leftover unfrosted cupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 weeks. Store leftover frosting in a glass jar or airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Yield: 8 large or 20 mini cupcakes
From Practically Raw Desserts by Amber Shea Crawley. ©2013 Amber Shea Crawley. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press.