This colorful dish from Robin Robertson‘s Nut Butter Universe is both a creative way to serve sweet potatoes and a flavorful dish that would be welcome at any Thanksgiving table. Almond butter provides both a creamy richness to the dressing and toasted almonds add a nice crunch.
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup frozen baby peas, thawed
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice; or orange juice; or cranberry juice (or water)
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1/2-inch dice. Toss with the olive oil and spread on a baking sheet. Roast the potatoes until tender but still firm, about 30 minutes. Allow to cool, then place them in a large bowl. Add the peas and scallions and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the juice, almond butter, and salt and pepper to taste. Blend well, then pour the dressing over the potato mixture, stirring gently to combine.
- Sprinkle with the almonds and serve right away, or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
From Nut Butter Universe by Robin Robertson. ©2013 Robin Robertson. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press. Photo by Lori Maffei.