This soup from Robin Robertson‘s Nut Butter Universe has it all: great taste, vibrant color, and the creamy goodness of almond butter. For this recipe, Robin uses Frontier brand organic curry powder, a heady blend of coriander, turmeric, cumin, mustard, fenugreek, cardamom, nutmeg, red pepper, cinnamon, and cloves, but most any curry spice blend should perform well. For a thinner soup, stir in a small amount of nondairy milk during the final heating.
- 1 tablespoon neutral vegetable oil or 1/4 cup water
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 5 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2/3 cup almond butter
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted almonds
- Heat the oil or water in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, and sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cook, uncovered, until the potatoes are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the almond butter, curry powder, cayenne, and salt to taste. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Puree the mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth, or use an immersion blender to puree the soup right in the pot. Heat the soup over low heat until hot. Serve sprinkled with the chopped almonds.
Serves 4 to 6
From Nut Butter Universe by Robin Robertson. ©2013 Robin Robertson. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press. Photo by Zsu Dever.