Just as you don’t need dairy cream to have a creamy soup, you don’t need dairy cheese to add a cheesy flavor to recipes. Almond butter adds extra richness to this flavorful soup from from Nut Butter Universe by Robin Robertson.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1/4 cup water
- 1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and finely chopped or shredded
- 1 pound broccoli, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups plain unsweetened almond milk
- In a large pot, heat the oil or water over medium heat. Add the onion, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the potato and broccoli, and stir in the broth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove 1/2 cup of small broccoli florets, and set aside.
- Add the nutritional yeast, almond butter, lemon juice, and mustard to the soup.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup directly in the pot, or transfer to a high-speed blender or food processor and puree, in batches if necessary, then re- turn to the pot.
- Stir in the almond milk, then taste and adjust the seasonings, if necessary. Reheat the soup over low heat until hot. To serve, ladle soup into bowls, garnish with the reserved broccoli florets. Serve hot.
Serves 4 to 6
From Nut Butter Universe by Robin Robertson. ©2013 Robin Robertson. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press. Photo by Lori Maffei.