Super Bowl Sunday is almost upon us! The NFL estimates that Americans will throw about 20 million Super Bowl parties on Sunday, and it’s believed that approximately 80 million pounds of avocados will be consumed. That’s a lot of guacamole!
This recipe for Fried Avocado Wedges from Tamasin Noyes‘s American Vegan Kitchen is perfect for Super Bowl parties and is sure to please your guests. Double the recipe if you’re expecting a lot of people because these snacks will go quickly! Peel and slice the avocados just before frying to prevent discoloration, and store the ripe avocado in the refrigerator until ready to use for the clean cut slices.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon all purpose spice blend
- Pinch black pepper
- 3/4 cup vegan Mexican-style beer, such as Corona
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Canola oil, for frying
- 2 ripe Hass avocados, peeled, pitted and cut into 8 wedges
- 1/4 cup finely ground cornmeal
- Tomato salsa, for serving
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, spice blend, and pepper. Whisk in the beer and lime juice. Add additional beer or flour if needed for a dipping consistency that coats the avocado but isn’t too heavy.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer or large skillet to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with paper towels or a brown bag for draining. Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- Place the cornmeal on a plate. Coat the wedges in the corn- meal, then dip them in the batter. Working in batches, fry the avocados until golden, about 5 minutes. Drain on the baking sheet then transfer to an ovenproof platter and place in the oven to keep warm until the frying is complete. Serve imme- diately with a small bowl of salsa for dipping.
From American Vegan Kitchen by Tamasin Noyes. ©2010 Tamasin Noyes. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press.